Sheep shearing is the process when the woolen fleece of a sheep is cut off. This is done by a professional shearer. Sheep shearing is an annual process to keep the sheep happy and healthy. Shearing does not hurt the sheep; while not actually enjoying the process, the sheep benefit from having the fleece removed once a year. Shearing is typically done before the hot weather of summer sets in and is like removing a winter coat, it helps keep the sheep cool and comfortable. Shearing also offers health benefits and allows the shearer to trim hooves and assess the overall health of the flock.
The History of Sheep Shearing: Sheep have domesticated over 10,000 years ago, but when man learned how to spin the sheep’s wool, sheep shearing became extremely popular. The production of wool is the oldest trade commodity known to man. In the 16th century wool provided for 50% of the total English economy.
ANHI INDUSTRIES is where you’ll find the sheep shears most commonly prepared in bulk quantity and exported in all over the world widely used in the UK and Europe. The classic sheer designs in this section are ideal to meet the demands of every fleece type in all the regions in the world. From the most matted hill sheep fleece to the finest merino wool and even alpaca.
This collection of sheep shearing equipment offers varying degrees of firmness of squeeze, from soft-squeeze double bow designs, to multi-purpose single bow designs, and the firmest incurved bow shears. A regulator bow design offers the flexibility to vary the shear between the double bow and single bow tension. All shears can be supplied ‘bent’ if required, to keep knuckles away from the fleece.
These shears are for Sheep dagging, shearing, and showing that have served farmers and stockmen for generations. Whether you need the no-frills‘ Black Top’, the high specification ‘Super shears’, or the world’s best-selling ‘shear, you’ll find them in this collection.
WHY DO FARMERS SHEAR SHEEP?
Sheep farmers shear their sheep usually once a year during the summer months when the temperatures become hot. They do this because it has great health benefits for their flock, in that shearing.
- Prevents the buildup of manure and urine that can lead to parasitic infection and fly strike- long fleeces are likely to become dirty and drag along the ground.
- Allows adequate wool regrowth which improves the sheep’s ability to control its body temperature during extreme heat and cold conditions.
- Creates a clean environment for newborn lambs. Decreases the chance of heat stress. It is crucial to shear sheep annually for the sake of their health
How Is Sheep Sheared?
Sheep shearing requires much attention. It is a meticulous job and requires a certain process so as to shore the sheep perfectly without harm. So, how are the sheep sheared perfectly?
- Sheep need to be laid on their back and their legs should be off the floor. The head of the sheep must be rested over the knees of the shearer.
- The wool from the back leg to the tail of the sheep is removed first and then followed by shearing on the middle of the belly part.
- Shearing stroke is done from top to bottom pushing wool away from the shearer. Sheep are rolled slowly on the side while shearing from side and back.
- Shearing is done in continuous motion and repeatedly starting from the back leg and moving towards the neck, head, and ear part from the stomach or chest part.
- Shearer shear the wool being diligent and careful so as to remove the wool but also keep the wool in one place and connected.
This process requires much attention to detail and only a professional shearer can shear the sheep perfectly without harming the animal.
Sheep Shears Shearing Manual Hand RED SHANK HAND SHEAR for Trimming Flowers, Alpaca Wool Cashmere Farming 12″ Length
- Brand new
- Material: Alloy Steel
- Color: Red
- Total length: approx. 260mm
- Blade length: approx. 10″
- Blade thickness: approx. 1.8mm
- Double bow, spring-loaded action automatically opens blades after each cut.
- Simple and reliable design.
- High strength and lasting sharpness.
- Single-handed operation.
- Easy to use.
- Durable in use.
- Used for trimming flowers, harvesting delicate plants, topping onions during harvest, and close shearing of sheep wool.
- Excellent hand sheep shears made from high-quality steel.
- These sheep shears are perfect for show day preparation, suitable for trimming or touch-ups to shape the fleece.
- Double bow design for easy trimming.
- Sharp and ready to use.
- Superb quality hand sheep shears with a new design.
- A good helper tool for farmers. Easy to operate, cutting cleanly with a minimum of effort. High Efficiency.
- Made of top-quality steel, sharp and durable. These hand shears are unmatchable for design, quality, and performance.
- Multi-function-suitable for cutting sheep goat wool, leather, and grass. And also for Kitchen use, cut chicken, fish, etc……
- More efficient than the usual double bow design, the blades cut cleanly with minimum effort. The carbon steel blades are amazingly sharp and easily re-sharpened when needed.
- The ergonomically designed handles are comfortable for long periods of use by even the smallest hands, and the low tension spring makes them easy to operate.
- Hand crafted from high-quality carbon steel, the self-sharpening blades ensure a clean cut every time.
- Exclusively imported, and made using traditional metalwork skills, these hand sheep shears have been refined and developed over the last 30 years and are unmatched for design, quality, and performance.
- Sharp and ready to use.
Once sheared, the wool is wrapped.
And this is what freshly sheared sheep and tups look like I hope you have found this blog post informative and let me know if you have any more questions about sheep shearing